WPML is possibly the most-used multilingual plugin for WordPress. Complianz is developed to work seamlessly with WPML and most other multilingual plugins for WordPress. Steps for alternative plugins will be very similar and most likely be supported as well. A great (free) alternative for WPML is Polylang, you can find our guide for configuring Complianz with Polylang here.
Translate Complianz to supported languages
We strive to make Complianz available to a broad audience of users. Translating our Free and Premium plugins to a variety of languages has always been an important focus for us. If you are running a multilingual site with WPML, chances are good that Complianz is already 100% translated to your language.
Currently supported languages
- English (US, UK, CA, AU and NZ)
- German (Formal and informal)
- French (FR and BE)
- Dutch (Formal and Informal)
- Greek (new!)
- Norwegian (very close to 100%)
- Czech (very close to 100%)
- Turkish (very close to 100%)
For other languages, join our translation team!
If your language is not mentioned in the list of the supported languages above, you can refer to this article to start translating your legal documents. While you’re at it, please consider joining our translation team, or sharing your translations with us, so we can make other Complianz users from your country happy as well! Please contact support to get you started.
Guide for WPML
Before starting to translate Complianz elements to your desired language, make sure that you have set the site languages via WPML -> Languages. If you are running Complianz Free, please force WordPress to download the correct language files if you have just made any changes to your WPML supported languages. You can do this via the WordPress Dashboard -> Updates -> Update translations.
Generated legal documents
- Make sure that you have completed the Complianz Wizard and generated the legal documents you wish to translate.
- Navigate to the legal document via WordPress -> Pages.
- You will see the WPML language meta box in the sidebar. See the screenshot below for the Gutenberg Editor, Classic looks similar. Also if you are using a pagebuilder like Elementor, you will find these options in the regular editor (not in the pagebuilder editor) Check the ‘Duplicate’ checkbox for the languages you wish to translate the legal document in and click the appearing ‘Duplicate’ button.
Please note: The UK and US legal documents are forced to English because this is the required legal language for these documents. Translated legal documents are particularly relevant for EU documents.
The cookie banner
Start with styling your cookie banner and review the texts on your cookie banner and buttons before you start translating (Complianz -> Cookie banner -> opt-in/opt-out). Because these texts are all customizable, Complianz can not translate these texts out-of-the-box. Therefore you need to manually translate them after you have reviewed the texts. You can translate the cookie banner texts by following these steps:
- Navigate to WPML -> String Translation
- In the following screen, select ‘complianz’ under ‘Select strings within domain’.
- You should now see all the relevant strings, which you can translate manually.
- Don’t forget to check ‘translation complete’, and to click ‘Save’. The String will be marked as ‘Translation complete’.
Complianz Dashboard, Wizard and menus
By default, the Complianz back-end menus will be displayed in your site language, or the language you have indicated as ‘default’ in WPML. If you have administrator users with other language settings, the Complianz menus will adjust to this user setting as well (if the language is provided).
Common problems / FAQ
Legal documents are only partially translated
- For US and UK legal documents, language is forced to English because this is the required legal language. Only user consent settings could be translated.
- If only (some) cookie descriptions are not translated, please navigate to the Wizard -> Cookies -> Used cookies. Issue a re-sync to download all available translations. If your cookie descriptions are not available in the required language, you can manually translate the descriptions by navigating to the correct language (via ‘Cookies in -language-‘) and manually edit the translations. This can also be done via WPML -> String translation
- For Complianz Free, force update language files via WordPress Dashboard -> Updates -> Update translations. Clear site cache before testing.
- For Complianz Premium, please make sure to delete the Free plugin.
Can I change texts in the (translated) legal documents?
Yes, please refer to this article for more information.
My language is not (fully) supported
We are always looking for native speakers to help us with translating our plugin to other languages or to maintain existing languages. Please contact support.