Our current CookiedatabaseToday we have a Cookiedatabase with hundreds of the most popular cookies and scripts used by WordPress websites. Since a couple of months we have added a feature for users of our plugin to report missing information in our database. We will add the following information manually when information is missing:
- The name of the organisation which uses the cookie’s purpose e.g. “Complianz”.
- The purpose of a single or multiple cookies
- Retention Period. How long the cookie is stored
- A clear description of what the cookie does
- The exact names of the cookies e.g. “complianz_config”
- The Privacy Statement connected to the data collected.
A new initiative: Cookiedatabase.org is coming soon.Image: Reporting unknown cookies in the Complianz Wizard After adding the feature of reporting unknown cookies we quickly realized the amount of cookies is almost endless. Besides a growing Cookiedatabase, we think the current legal obligatory descriptions and information won’t make sense to most website visitors. There’s a big gap between the GDPR and upcoming ePrivacy for website developers/marketing and website users, regarding knowledge about Digital Privacy. We want to fill the gap with the following improvements on our Cookiedatabase:
- Open-source database on cookiedatabase.org. Available for all!
- Descriptions are for non-technical users and feature examples of usage
- Combinations of cookies lead to a personal profile for each user.
- Logged-in users can add, translate and suggest improvements.
- Non-Wordpress website can use our API for an up-to-date Cookiedatabase for better communication
- You can search for usage, cookie name, organisation, websites etc.
Partnering with SIDN Fund.We are proud to announce the partnership with the SIDN Fund to make way for a Open-Source system to make Digital Privacy a clear and informed subject for all. SIDN Fund is an independent foundation established by SIDN, the foundation for internet domain registration in the Netherlands. Sharing expertise in Digital Privacy is a purpose of both SIDN and Complianz and we are working hard to support and inform anyone on this matter together from this moment forward.
A Brief Statement
For the last few months, we have been working on cookiedatabase.org. An open-source database for anyone to use, edit or contribute while being moderated by privacy specialists.
This database is connected to our Complianz Wizard and will automatically sync unknown cookies to our database for further investigation. Known cookies, recently scanned cookies are synched with the database weekly to make sure you have the latest moderated information on your policy.
We have stress-tested our database on multiple occasions to make sure it will handle all requests smoothly during this update. If your synchronization takes a while. Please try again in a minute or so.
How it works
Cookiedatabase.org is a collection of moderated cookies descriptions and services as an open-source project, very much like WordPress is open-source. Dedicated volunteers working hard on the back-end to create a better user experience.
The Cookiedatabase will work in two ways:
1. Collected cookies from your website will be synched with the Cookiedatabase, to:
1.2 sync your cookies with the database if unknown cookies are detected.
1.3 check new cookies to sync newly available information on a weekly basis.
2. The database on Cookiedatabase.org will:
2.1 Edit and moderate unknown cookies to push new information back to our users
2.2 Will verify cookie information by the service responsible for setting the cookie
2.3 Build a better, more transparent and clear description how cookies and tracking works.
Full Changelog since 3.0